Tuesday 22 March 2016

Under the Rotunda

Developing a garden, in the area under our rotunda, has proven to be very challenging! I have tried growing a range of plants in the drier soil, that receives no rainfall because it is sheltered by the decking above, with limited success (and outright failure).

I decided that I didn't want to "waste" any more money on plants for this area because whatever I tried inevitably ended up as compost bin clippings. So, instead of heading back to the nursery, I used what I already had to come up with a new plan.

Instead of a feature plant, I moved a beautiful cobalt-blue birdbath into the centre of the garden bed and set it atop an old paver. Two more creamy-white pavers were washed off and repositioned as a couple of stepping stones to use when I need to clean out the bird bath. In a circle, around the base of the birdbath, I planted some baby spider plants that I sourced for free from my potted spider plant that desperately needed dividing. I had enough of these baby spider plants to create a border along the edge of the hardwood timber boardwalk that passes by this garden too. The strappy, variegated leaves of these spider plants look great and they seem to be establishing themselves in the drier conditions of this particular garden.


 Strappy spider plants in a ring around the base of the birdbath.

 The variegated leaves of the spider plant.

 Spider plants bordering the boardwalk.

Another plant that I noticed popping up, just on the edges of this area, were white-flowering vincas. These pretty flowers have found their way to my garden from the garden next door as they can be prolific self-seeders. I have dug up some of these free vinca seedlings and transferred them to this garden to see if they will grow. I have read that vincas don't mind dry conditions so that is cause for much optimism.

Pretty white vinca flowers.

Vinca seedlings and spider plants.

Over time, I hope both the spider plants and vincas will thrive and fill in this tricky garden bed as I've read that both tolerate drier conditions well. The variegated leaves of the spider plants should complement the bright green leaves and glossy white flowers of the vincas too.

My rotunda garden.

As I watered in the vinca seedlings, I found myself hoping that this time I've matched suitable plants to the conditions they have to grow in. Fingers crossed!

Meg

2 comments:

  1. very pretty
    there are two variations of the spider/ribbon plant & its the stripes are different, one with green down the middle & the other is white down the middle, the green middle one around here is called the african ribbon plant but i think they are one & the same just opposites, very pretty & very hardy, thrive on neglect
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorophytum_comosum
    here it does have two different variations
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely hardy plants. The one I have in a pot almost never gets watered and it still looks great! My kind of plant! Thanks for the link and for visiting:)

      Delete