Tuesday 20 December 2016

Under an Island's Spell

When I think of my deep attachment to the island we visit for holidays each year, and from where we've just returned, I am reminded of these beautiful words:

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.
                                                                                                       ~ Jacques Yves Cousteau


There is so much more, besides the deep blue sea, that keeps me under this island's spell. 

... long stretches of soft sand underfoot ...

... rocky cliffs that have been scultped and shaped over time ... 

... leg-achingly steep sand dunes to climb ...

... spectacular views from on high ...


... deep freshwater lakes for scooping up tadpoles and tiny fish ...

... warm rockpools to explore ...

... wild creatures to quietly observe ...
(Kangaroos grazing on the headland.)

... abundant sea life under the waves ...
(Manta Rays just under the surface.)

... soaring birds that take off from the cliffs ...
(Brahminy Kite)

... wide and beautiful sunset skies  ...

It is nature that keeps me coming back to this place. While other adventures may beckon, it is this island that calls me back and has done so now for over twenty years. It is simply woven into my heart.

Meg























12 comments:

  1. We I see such beauty as that it stirs that passion in me to keep doing my best to look after this exquisite planet! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! I think it is the profound connection with a place that motivates people to care for it, to respect it and to protect it so that it will always be there. Meg:)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful place! No wonder you keep going back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's a special place, Jan. A wonderful place to visit each year. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Meg, I can see why you're drawn back there each year. Thanks for sharing these amazing photos of your beautiful and special place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is such a joy to visit each year, Sally. It's only a two hour journey from where we live, but it is a world away! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a lovely place to visit, Meg. I have always loved Caloundra but it is getting a tad too busy for my liking now. I just love walking along the beach and watching the sunsets each night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Sunshine Coast too but it is really built up now, changing and busy. While North Stradbroke Island, where we go, can have busy times (e.g. over Easter) we avoid those peaks so that we can enjoy the island and some quietness. Meg:)

      Delete
  7. beautiful photos, looks like a very peaceful island to visit & recharge the souls.
    have a very merry xmas & a safe & happy new year
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you too, Selina. I hope 2017 will be a year of happiness for you in your home and in your garden. Meg:)

      Delete
  8. Oh wow that looks beautiful Meg! I love every image, and the experiences you have shared! Where is this breathtaking place? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is North Stradbroke Island, affectionately known as "Straddie" a short barge trip off the South-East Qld coast. It is indeed very beautiful. Meg:)

      Delete