Saturday 28 October 2017

Mountains & Mosaics

Discovering a lookout, which afforded a panoramic view across a wide expanse of trees and mountains to the distant coast beyond, was just the balm I needed after a draining week. From my spot on high, I breathed in not only the breathtaking view but also the fresh air and the quiet and nature's soothing colours from the Glasshouse Mountains Lookout.

 An impressive view ... all the way to the coast!

This expansive view from the lookout takes in native bushland and pine plantations and is punctuated by the craggy peaks of the Sunshine Coast hinterland's iconic Glasshouse Mountains. Here are a few of those mountains:

Mt. Tibrogargan (364m) & Mt. Tibberoowuccu (220m)

Tunbubudula or "The Twins" (338m/294m)

 Mt. Coonowrin (377m)

The landscape I looked out across, and those beautiful colours, were there too in the gorgeous mosaics that I found set into the lookout's path. Here is Mt. Coonowrin and Mt. Beerwah represented in tiles. 

Most beautiful mountain mosaic.

While these mountain peaks were named collectively as the "Glasshouse Mountains" by Lieutenant James Cook in 1770, as they reminded him of glass factory furnaces, back in England, they were (and still are) of very special significance to the local indigenous peoples long before then. In their ancient Dreamtime story, retold here, these glasshouse peaks are members of one family. Woven into their words are how particular features of these mountains and the surrounding land, from which they rise up, came to be.

Discovering this lookout afforded me a truly wonderful view, not only of the mountains but also into their history too.

Meg

p.s.  Australia's country music legend, Slim Dusty, wrote this song that also records the indigenous story of these Glasshouse Mountains. 



















18 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg I have never climbed them but when we drive to Caloundra I love it when the Glasshouse Mountains come into view and they just look stunning when walking along the boardwalk at sunset. They are just so fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to see them too, Chel, when we are up on the Sunshine Coast. I also like the visit Mary Cairncross Park at Maleny which also affords a beautiful view of them. I'd like to go back to the lookout again one day soon and do some more exploring. Meg:)

      Delete
  3. wow, i'd never really listened to that song before, not being much of a country music fan but that opened my eyes heaps thankyou for sharing the history of the Glasshouse Mountains & the beautiful photos
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge country music fan either, Selina, but I did grow up listening to it often on the radio as my mother loves it! Such an interesting history to turn into a song. Meg:)

      Delete
  4. Breathing in that fresh air looking out at those views would be lovely. The mosaic is beautiful - very clever people
    A little history lesson for me too.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The views are spectacular, Kylie. I hope to go back not too far away to explore even more. Meg:)

      Delete
  5. Dearest Meg,
    Isn’t it a wonderful spot, we have quite often climbed Mt. Ngungun, it’s a fantastic family day out. Love the photos, such a beautiful view.
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the mountains are spectacular, Fiona. They rise so dramatically up from the surrounding landscape which you really get such a feel for when up at the lookout. Meg:)

      Delete
  6. Dear Meg,

    We went to the Glasshouse Mountains back in 2010 when we were on a family holiday and they were definitely spectacular!

    I am a Slim Dusty fan but didn't realise that song (that I have heard many times) was about the Glasshouse Mountains, but thanks to you I do now. I am listening to it as I write this :)

    Thank you for the trip down memory lane,

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely that you are enjoying the song, Tania. I love the way the Dreamtime story is woven through it. Meg:)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos, Meg. Mountain energy is so special. I always feel healed after a visit to the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think there is a special energy about these mountains, the local indigenous people certainly have a very deep connection to them. I think they really have such a presence because they rise so dramatically up from the surrounding landscape so near the coast. Meg:)

      Delete
  8. I love the look of the Glasshouse Mountains. When we were at the farmstay in July they had a great view of them. When I was 19 I climbed Mt Tibrogargan and it was difficult and a really hot day. I've been the the lookout but last time it was about 17 years ago. It is called "the Glasshouse Mountain Lookout" I can never remember what to look up to go and visit again. We are so lucky being surrounded by such beauty so close by. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Sunshine Coast area, Kathy. It's lovely that it's reasonably close to Brisbane so places such as the Glasshouse Mountains, Maleny, Noosa, Mooloolaba etc. are easy to drive to for the day. Would've been a great view from the top of Mt. Tibrogargan! Meg:)

      Delete
  9. Meg I climbed Mt Tibrogargan when I was 15. My legs were so tired that coming down my friend and I (we went with a group) slid part of the way down on our butts, much to the amusement of climbers going in the opposite direction. My legs were jelly when I finished and I was thirsty beyond belief. Yep we didn't take any water up with us. I have fond memories though of sitting on the top of the mountain and waving to the cars going driving past below. I doubt whether we were spotted by any drivers though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely memory, Sherri. I imagine the view from up on top of the mountain would be spectacular. I had a chuckle that you had to slide down on your butt, hope your pants were made of a thick material;) Meg

      Delete